Phs 398 (rev. 9/04), biographical sketch format page
EDUCATION/TRAINING (Begin with baccalaureate or other initial professional education, such as nursing, and include postdoctoral training.)
China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL,USA
A. Personal Statement
Dr. Qi-En Yang works as a Lalor Foundation postdoctoral fellow in Dr. Jon Oatley’s lab at the Washington State University. Dr.Yang uses spermatogonial stem cell (SSC) culture, germ cell transplantation and conditional knockout animal models to address key questions in the field of male germline stem cell biology. Currently, his research focuses on the function of Id proteins and their binding partners in SSC fate decisions. He is also interested in understanding the influence of niche factor SDF-1on SSC self-renewal and differentiation. Yang studied the roles of fibroblast growth factors in peri-implantation embryo development and lineage commitment at the University of Florida.
B. Positions and Honors
Positions and Employment 2006.08-2010.10 Research Assistant in Animal Molecular and Cellular Biology Graduate Program, University of Florida, Advisor: Alan D. Ealy 2011.01-2011.06 Postdoctoral Scholar, Center for Reproduction and Health, Pennsylvania State University, Advisor: Jon M. Oatley 2011.6-present Postdoctoral Scholar, Center for Reproductive Biology, School of Molecular Biosciences, Washington State University, Advisor: Jon M. Oatley
Other Experience and Professional Memberships 2008-2009 American Society of Animal Sciences 2008-2010 Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society 2009-2010 Vice president, ASGSA, University of Florida 2008- Society for the Study of Reproduction 2002-2004 Zeng Xian-Zi Educational Foundation Fellowship, Ministry of Education, China 2004 The Outstanding Undergraduate Award, China Agricultural University 2006-2009 Grinter Scholarship, University of Florida 2008 Fontenot Graduate Student Travel Scholarship, American Society of Animal Sciences 2010 LEMTTF Award, Society for the Study of Reproduction 2012 Lalor Foundation Merit Award, Society for the Study of Reproduction 2012 SSR Trainee Platform Competition 3rd Place, Society for the Study of Reproduction 2012-2013 Lalor Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, the Lalor Foundation
C. Selected peer-reviewed publications 1. Tong MH, Yang QE, Davis JC & Griswold MD. Retinol dehydrogenase 10 is indispensible for spermatogenesis in juvenile males. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. Accepted. 2012
2. Yang QE, Kim D, Kuacher A, Oatley MJ & Oatley JM. CXCL12/CXCR4 signaling is essential for the maintenance of mouse spermatogonial stem cells. Journal of Cell Science. Accepted. 2012 3. Yang QE, Racicot K, Kaucher A, Oatley MJ & Oatley JM. MicroRNAs 221 and 222 regulate the undifferentiated state in mammalian male germ cells. Development. Accepted. 2012
4. Ozawa M, Yang QE & Ealy AD. The expression of fibroblast growth factor receptors during early bovine conceptus development and their importance as regulators of trophoblast growth. Reproduction. In revision. 2012. 5. Yang QE, Fields SD, Zhang K, Ozawa M, Johnson SE & Ealy AD. Biology of Reproduntion. 2011; 85(5):946-53.
6. Yang QE, Johnson SE & Ealy AD. Protein kinase C delta mediates fibroblast growth factor-2-induced interferon-tau expression in bovine trophoblast. Biology of Reproduction. 2011;84(5):933-43.
7. Yang QE, Giassetti MI & Ealy AD. Fibroblast growth factors activate mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways to promote migration in ovine trophoblast cells. Reproduction. 2011;141(5):707-14.
8. Thompson IM, Ozawa M, Bubolz JW, Yang QE & Dahl GE. Bovine luteal prolactin receptor expression: potential involvement in regulation of progesterone during the estrous cycle and pregnancy. J Anim Sci. 2011;89(5):1338-46.
9. Pennington KA, Oliveira LJ, Yang QE & Ealy AD. The enrichment of trophoblast giant cells from mid gestation bovine placentae using fluorescence-activated cell sorting. Placenta. 2010;31(8):738-40.
10. Cooke FN, Pennington KA, Yang QE & Ealy AD. Several fibroblast growth factors are expressed during pre attachment bovine conceptus development and regulate interferon-tau expression from trophectoderm. Reproduction. 2009 Feb;137(2):259-69.
11. Ealy AD & Yang QE. Control of interferon-tau expression during early pregnancy in ruminants. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2009;61(2):95-106.
12. Yan CL, Yang QE, Zhou GB, Hou YP, Zhao XM, Fan ZQ, Liu MQ, Liu L & Zhu SE. Open-pulled straw (OPS) vitrification of in vitro fertilised mouse embryos at various stages. Acta Vet Hung. 2008; 56(2):245- 53.
13. Yang QE, Hou YP, Zhou GB, Yang ZQ & Zhu SE. Stepwise in-straw dilution and direct transfer using open pulled straws (OPS) in the mouse: a potential model for field manipulation of vitrified embryos. J Reprod Dev. 2007;53(2):211-8.
14. Zhou GB, Hou YP, Jin F, Yang QE, Yang ZQ, Quan GB, Tan HM & Zhu SE. Vitrification of mouse embryos at various stages by open-pulled straw (OPS) method. Anim Biotechnol. 2005;16(2):153-63. Manuscript in Preparation:
1. Yang QE, Gwost I et al., Rb1 dictates fate decisions in male germline stem cells. 2012
2. Yang QE, Kaucher A, Oatley MJ and Oatley JM. Interplay between ID4 and NGN3 controls the lineage decisions of spermatogonial stem cells. 2013 3. Yang QE, Gwost I, Oatley MJ & Oatley JM. E2A and HEB control Sertoli cell maturation and
spermatogenesis. 2013 4. Yang QE, Ozawa M & Ealy AD. Requirements of PRKCD for IFNT production and blastocyst formation in bovine embryos. 2013
Peter Doeve EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND UNIVERSITY DEGREES Studied Organization and Leadership and General Economics at the Free University of Amsterdam (Drs), Business Economics at the Erasmus University (through KUR) (Drs), with specialization in Business Administration. Finalized his dissertation at Alliant University & Preston University in the United States of America with