FIRST CONDITIONAL Objectives. The students must be able to: - Test their knowledge in first conditional (if/when/unless) - Recognize and apply the different structures in first conditional. Using If: “I will be annoyed if she doesn't return my phone call.” “If she doesn’t return my phone call, I will be annoyed”
What does this express? Conditional sentences with a probable result. Used for talking about possibilities in the present or future.
If + Present tense + Subject + Future tense Using Unless: “I will be annoyed unless she returns my phone call.” “Unless she returns my phone call, I will be annoyed.”
What does this express? Unless means if not. It works as a negative condition. If + Present tense + Subject + Future tense Using When: “When you are in trouble, call your parents” “Call your parents when you are in trouble”
What does this express? Warnings, advice, cause/consequences.
When+ Present tense + Present tense Part 1: Using if. I. Match and make sentences
1.- If you wear a coat, you will not be cold___________________________
2.- If you _____________________________________________________
3.- If you _____________________________________________________
4.- If you _____________________________________________________
5.- If you _____________________________________________________
6.- If you _____________________________________________________
7.- If you _____________________________________________________
8.- If you _____________________________________________________
II. Fill in the gaps with the correct verb form
1) If I´m not busy____ (not be) busy, I will come (come) with you 2) If it _______________ (rain), we ____________ (stay) at home. 3) I ________________ (call) you if I _____________ (have) time. 4) If she _______________ (not study) hard, she _____________ (not pass) the test. 5) If the weather ______________ (be) nice, we _____________ (go) to the beach. 6) You _______________ (get) fat if you ________________ (not stop) eating so much.
7) If I ______________ (see) Diego, I _______________ (tell) him about the party. 8) If we _____________ (not leave) now, we _____________ (miss) the bus.
III. Choose the correct verb form.
1) If I pass / will pass the exam, I will be very happy.
2) You won’t / don’t learn anything if you don’t listen.
3) If you call me before lunch, I will let / let you know.
4) You get / will get a cold if you don’t take your jacket
5) If the weather is good tomorrow, we go / will go for a picnic.
6) Your insurance will cost / costs more if you crash your car.
7) If the train will arrive / arrives on time, I will be there at 5 pm.
8) If you feel ill, go / will go to bed early. IV. Choose the correct alternative.
1. She ________ completely different if she cuts her hair.
2. If a deer ________ into your garden, it ________ all your plants.
3. You'll pay higher insurance if you ________ a sports car.
4. If you don't put so much sugar in your coffee, you ________ so much
5. If we don't protect the elephant, it ________ extinct.
6. If you ________ an apple every day, you'll be very healthy.
7. You ________ heart disease if you eat too much meat.
Part 2: Using Unless. I.- Fill in the blanks with IF or UNLESS. 1. _____ you see David tomorrow, will you remind him about the meeting? 2. We will be going on holiday this year _____ we win the lottery. 3. Peter won’t come to see me _____ he gets the day off work. 4. Peter will come to see me _____ he gets the day off work. 5. What will we do on Saturday _____ the weather isn’t good? 6. I’ll pick you up from work; _____ the car breaks down. 7. I’ll pick you up from work _____ the car doesn’t break down. 8. We may not go out _____ it’s too cold. 9. We won’t go out _____ the weather is nice. 10._____ I feel better tomorrow, I won’t go to work II. Choose the correct verb form.
Elephants will/ will not attack people unless they are protecting their young.
Unless you're going to be running a lot of programs simultaneously, an
expensive computer is/is not necessary.
Unless you arrive/don’t arrive late again, your boss won’t be furious.
My brother will/won’t be sad unless you forget his birthday.
Unless she buys/doesn’t buy the tickets soon, she will go to the concert.
They will/ won’t get married unless she regrets her decision.
1. If he does not find a good job, his family will starve. a)his family will starve unless he finds/doesn’t find a good job. 2. If you do not read the document many times over, you will not understand it properly. a)Unless you read/don’t read the document many times over, you will not understand it properly 3. If you learn from your experiences, you will not commit the same mistakes again and again. a)You will/won’t commit the same mistakes again and again unless you learn from your experience. Part 3. Using When. I. Choose the right answer (if or when) 1.- If/when it rains tomorrow, we won’t have a picnic. 2.- I’m going to London. I’ll phone you if/when I get back 3.- We’ll catch the train when/if we leave immediately. 4.- My father will buy me a car if/when I’m 18. 5.- I’m leaving work now. I’ll finish this letter if/when I get home. 6.-If/when John doesn’t come in his car, we’ll take the subway. II. Complete the following sentences.
1.- I will _______ (go) to study when I finish my homework.
2.- When you have a headache, _________ (not smoke) cigarettes.
3.- When she mixes blue and yellow, __________ (get) green.
4.- I am going to cook when she ___________ (return) from school
5.- She is going to kill him when he _____________ (decide) to come.
Merci de trouver dans ce document quelques informations qui vous permettrons de commencer à préparer votre voyage pour « La Piste des Oasis » au Sénégal 2012 en novembre prochain. 1) HORAIRES AVIONS suivant vos villes de départ : horaires donnés sous réserve à ce jour PARIS : Merci de trouver ci joint les infos vols au départ de PARIS ORLY : Vols avec IBERIA 1 IB3405 G 10N